Károli Gáspár University of the Reformed Church in Hungary is a youthful institution with a long tradition. The university was established in its present form in 1993, although its legal predecessors date back to 1839 and 1855.
The university combines the traditions of Reformed education and an openness to professional innovation. Our students enjoy a friendly environment in which they acquire up-to-date knowledge that is based on a solid, value-driven Christian ethos. Furthermore, we place considerable emphasis on community-oriented education, the personal relationship between professors and students as well as on the support of student initiatives.
Our more than 7000 students can conduct their studies at the Faculty of Law, the Faculty of Humanities, the Faculty of Theology and the Faculty of Teacher Training. The central location of most of the university buildings in Budapest provides students with an exciting cultural environment that enjoys an international reputation.
Facts and figures – Why Károli?
- Károli Gáspár University is a church university, founded by the Reformed Church in Hungary. This fact is reflected in the official name of the institution: Károli Gáspár University of the Reformed Church in Hungary.
- The university was named after Károli Gáspár, the Calvinist pastor, who prepared the first complete Hungarian translation of the Bible in 1590.
- Besides Budapest and Nagykőrös where the two main campuses are located, Károli Gáspár University provides courses in Romania in Targu Mures/Marosvásárhely and Ilieni/Ilyefalva. The university plans to extend its off-campus teaching activity to Berehove/Beregszász (Ukraine) and to Levice/Léva (Slovakia) in cooperation with local higher education institutions.
- Our Practice-Oriented Trainings Provide Students With Immediately Accessible Knowledge
- The Career Office And The Student Consulting Centre Offer Our Students Career And Life Management Counselling.
- 11 Foreign Languages Can Be Studied At The University.
- The University Maintains Cooperation With 167 Partner Institutions From 36 Countries In 4 Continents.
- The Faculty Of Law Finished First Place In The Ranking ‘Excellence Of Professors’ In The Field Of Law. The Number Of Students Per Professor With Academic Titles Was The Lowest At Our Faculty (HVG Diploma Supplement 2016 – Annual Higher Education Ranking Of The Acknowledged Hungarian Weekly Business Paper, The HVG Magazine).
- The Faculty Of Humanities Was Ranked Third Nationwide In The Category ‘Student Excellence’ In The Ranking Of Humanity Trainings (HVG Diploma Supplement 2016).
- At The Faculty Of Theology The Proportion Of Professors With Academic Titles Is Almost 100%.
Degree programmes offered in foreign languages
Student life and services
Student life at our university is extremely active and colourful Students find the locations of our campuses very attractive; they offer the short of cultural environment that the faculties are able to benefit from in diverse ways. Our students pursue an active social and academic life.
Typical activities include but not limited to:
- book presentations, debating society, ats days
- autumn and spring training week with professional and cultural programmes
- student talent days
- conferences, symposiums, professional forums
Student Sport Circle
In 2014, asa result of long and close cooperation between the Hungarian University Sports Federation and Károli Gáspár University of the Reformed Church in Hungary, the university sports office and the Károli Student Sports Circle were established, which serve to coordinate sports events and sport life at our university. The sport office is available for students every day of the week in person, by telephone or via e-mail.It offers several different sports activities both at competitive and at hobby level. Students are always welcome to join the excellent KRE főnixek football, handball, volleyball, basketball or water polo teams during study term. They may take part in inter-university competitions and even put together their own team for tournaments and championships.
Housing and accommodation
International students are offered a place in one of our dormitories located in Budapest:
- Bethlen Gábor Kollégium/Bethlen Gábor College – dormitory of the Faculty of Humanities
- Óbudai Diák Hotel/Óbuda’s Student Hostel – dormitory of the Faculty of Law, Humanities, Teacher Training, Theology
We also maintain a so called buddy programme that is basically a mentor system,where we aim to pair international students with one of the Hungarian students studying at the same faculty so all of our international students can have a fellow Hungarian student during their studies to help them.